The Holy Terror

A possible retreat from goodreads ... though I'm tempted to yell "get off my lawn" at this site's tumblresque-ness. Yes, that's totally a word.

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) - Tahereh Mafi I always wonder about raindrops.I wonder about how they’re always falling down, tripping over their own feet, breaking their legs and forgetting their parachutes as they tumble right out of the sky toward an uncertain end. It’s like someone is emptying their pockets over the earth and doesn’t seem to care where the contents fall, doesn’t seem to care that the raindrops burst when they hit the ground, that they shatter when they fall to the floor, that people curse the days the drops dare to tap on their doors.Let me translate what Mafi was trying to say; "It was raining."This is one of, if not THE major problem of Shatter Me; she tries too hard to be clever and poetic and the story gets muddied along the way.I apologize for not going more in depth with this review, but I read this book over three months ago now and all I remember is that I hated it and it was incredibly poorly written. I think my status updates should show this pretty clearly, but to make this easier to see, I've decided to write this somewhat brief review and sort through a few of my updates as well.A device Mafi chooses to use early on is crossing striking out the words that "crazy" Juliette is "really" thinking. As the story goes on this device gets used less and less and so it feels more like Mafi just used it in the beginning for fun and to make her book look different from the rest of the young adult books out there, which, unfortunately, it is NOT, especially when you get to the romance. And that is what this story is: a romance, and a disgustingly sappy one at that. I don't think you'll be able to believe these favorite quotes of mine until you read them for yourself:"I'd like to cry into his eyes.""His body presses closer and I realize I'm paying attention to nothing but the dandelions blowing wishes in my lungs.""I'm suddenly desperate to drink in every drop of his being, desperate to savor every moment I've never known before. I suddenly worry that there's an expiration date on this phenomenon.The possibility of losing himThe possibility of losing himThe possibility of losing him is 100 years of solitude I don't want to imagine.Realization is a pendulum the size of the moon. It won't stop slamming into me.""His heart is racing so fast I can't distinguish it from my own. It's 5,000 degrees in the air between us.""I've run out of words. My pockets are full of letters I can't string together.""I want to fall asleep to the sound of his heart beating in the atmosphere.""His eyes are a midnight moment filled with memories, the only windows into my world.""My heart fails for a moment.There are 400 cotton balls caught in my windpipe.""James and Adam glance back at me and I melt into pink Play-Doh.""I'm up.Spinning.Scanning.Scared.They found us is the only thing I can think of. My stomach is a flimsy crepe, my heart a raging woodpecker, my blood a river of anxiety.""It's raining today. The sky is weeping for us.""His lips are spelling secrets and my ears are spilling ink, staining my skin with his stories.""The sun is revolving around the moon when he responds.""I offer him a smile. Try to keep my organs from falling out. Hope the holes in my head aren't showing.""My mouth is sitting on my kneecaps.""My neck snaps up to meet his dark eyes, his smooth voice, silky and strong.""My jaw is dangling from my shoelace.""I'm blushing through my bones.""Adam pulls back just a tiny bit. Kisses my bottom lip. Bites it for just a second. His skin is 100 degrees hotter than it was a moment ago. His lips are pressed against my neck and my hands are on a journey down his upper body and I'm wondering why there are so many freight trains in my heart, why his chest is a broken harmonica."And that, my friends, is that. I thought it was awful. Even if I didn't think the writing was trite and overwrought, later on it really starts to feel like she's borrowing heavily from the X-Men mythos (even though she claims she's never even seen the movies.) If you read the few quotes I've listed above and they're not your cup of tea, I'd say skip this one and try something else. Or maybe watch one of the X-Men movies instead; you'll get a much better portrayal of Rogue and a steamier love story. Mmm ... Wolverine.

The Girl at Midnight