The Holy Terror

A possible retreat from goodreads ... though I'm tempted to yell "get off my lawn" at this site's tumblresque-ness. Yes, that's totally a word.

Dork Diaries: Tales from a Not-So-Fabulous Life - Rachel Renée Russell

This is about an incredibly materialistic, shallow, melodramatic preteen who is whiny and annoying. This is not something I'd tell anyone in this book's targeted age range to read. I thought I was getting Diary of a Wimpy Kid for girls but it's basically a whinefest with no substance. And the way the kids talk is nowhere near natural. Everything is over-the-top drama and none of it is funny. Plus the whole thing is supposed to be a diary written by the girl but everything plays out in real time. Like she'll talk about writing in her diary in the janitor's closet and then her friends come in and they leave but she's still telling the story like she wasn't just writing everything down. It's weird and hard to explain, but you can't have something going on in the present when it's all supposed to be a diary written by the character.

Even though the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books decline a bit as they go, I'd recommend those instead. They're funnier and better written though share some of the same characteristics (both good and bad) with this series. It's really a shame this turned out to be so awful because I liked the premise and I do like girly stuff and drawing but this was pretty much just a big failure.

The Girl at Midnight