The Holy Terror

A possible retreat from goodreads ... though I'm tempted to yell "get off my lawn" at this site's tumblresque-ness. Yes, that's totally a word.

The Knife of Never Letting Go  - Patrick Ness Things that didn't bother me:The grammar and misspellings - normally this would bother me, but I quickly got used to it, so I don't fault him there.The swearing - you will notice from my status updates that I don't mind a well-placed curse.The violence - I play violent video games, watch violent movies, and I don't mind violence in books when it makes sense. The cliffhanger - maybe if I didn't have a copy of the second book on hold at the library I would be upset, but cliffhangers don't normally bother me. It is a doozy though.Things that did bother me:The unlikeable main character, ToddAaron the Energizer Bunny - 'nough said.The two senseless deaths - one made me start bawling and set the book down, wondering if I could continue on.I had a friend say to me that Ness must be a great author if he can incite so much passion from me; if you take a look at my updates you can see how up and down I was, but is it a good book if for the most part all it did was make me pissed off? Is any emotional response at all the sign of a good writer? I don't think so. I think if you make me hate your characters and the actions that they take to the point where I don't care if they survive, you haven't been all that successful. You have to give me someone to root for. I wasn't even all that attached to Viola, and she's the only character who actually did the RIGHT thing by the end of the book. The way the author just kept piling onto the characters was absolutely ridiculous. Seriously, how many bad things can you think of to put your characters through? It got to the point where it was all so implausible that, much to my chagrin, I could guess each and every time the villain was going to jump out and attack Todd and Viola. It got so predictable that I just kept getting angrier and angrier each time it happened. His characters talk about hope so much in this book, yet I felt like Ness never gave me any.Was it the worst book in the world? No, not by any means. I can't give it more than 1 star though, because 2 stars means: "it was ok." This book was NOT ok. I didn't like it, nor enjoy it, but that doesn't mean I won't check out the next book to see what happens. In this, Ness has succeeded, but only because I can always get the next books out from the library.

The Girl at Midnight