The Holy Terror

A possible retreat from goodreads ... though I'm tempted to yell "get off my lawn" at this site's tumblresque-ness. Yes, that's totally a word.

Emiko Superstar - Mariko Tamaki, Steve Rolston I'm not picking graphic novels all that well it seems. At least not every time. It's true, I don't read the synopsis and just look at the cover and briefly flip through the book to check the artwork, so I suppose it's my own fault for picking another "lonely emo girl finds a boy who finally 'gets' her and disappoints her parents to 'find herself' with a ragtag group of misfits." This wasn't as extreme in those regards as Ivy was, but this actually ended up lacking substance in spite of that. I felt like I was reading three half realized ideas than one fully coherent story. There were too many characters and side stories, not enough development for any of them, and it was kind of boring to boot. I actually didn't think Emi even fit in this book; she seemed like a smart and quietly reserved character and she deserved something better than this. I would've much rather have read about her relationship with Henry or the unraveling of her employers' marriage than the loud and obnoxious characters at The Factory. Just because you're a self-proclaimed geek and don't fit in or know what to do with your life doesn't mean you have to change everything about yourself all of a sudden, and I'm really getting sick of this theme.

The Girl at Midnight