The Holy Terror

A possible retreat from goodreads ... though I'm tempted to yell "get off my lawn" at this site's tumblresque-ness. Yes, that's totally a word.

Except the Queen - Jane Yolen, Midori Snyder A wonderfully unique and dark tale, the likes of which I rarely come across. This book tells the story of two fairy sisters; Meteora and Serana. Meteora sees something she isn't supposed to and also lets the secret slip to fellow fae with looser lips than her own. As punishment, she and her sister are banished from the realm of faery to live with mortals. They've also been stripped of their youth and beauty and forced to live alone and far away from each other. They have to rely on the kindness of others and their own wits to survive in the strange human world.This book was such a pleasant surprise. It's so much darker than I thought it would be and the tone really works for the story. It was also fascinating to see how the sisters would adapt to their strange surroundings. I liked how this showed the fae trying to survive in the human world and how everything was strange and new to them. There are also many humorous misunderstandings and assumptions that the sisters make. As an example; Serana and Meteora spend a great deal of time sending letters to each other by way of pigeons and other birds. They tie the letters to the birds' legs and speak to them so the animals will know where to go. At one point Serana sees the symbol for the post office on a mail box and she thinks an eagle would take letters much faster. So she asks a lady how she can send an eagle letter and how to find the place of mails. Once Serana gets to the post office, it gets even funnier:So I did the turnings she suggested, and found the place of mails with the big eagle sigil on the wall. I did not see any of my sister's men in blue, but there was a lady behind some bars-caged like a farmer's cows-who told me to put the letter into an envelope and seal it. The lady behind the bars promised me it would reach Meteora in two days."Two days? Complaint edged into my voice. "But I thought this is eagle mail. The dove can do it in that time and for nothing more than some honey water and bread."This kind of thing happens to both sisters throughout the novel and their almost childish innocence and wonder with regards to the world is both refreshing and endearing.That's not to say everything is all fun and games for them. There's a malevolent force at work that the sisters have to figure out how to stop. They have to use their knowledge and cunning and learn how to survive anew, having their magic and strength stripped from them. The most important lesson that they have to learn though is how to rely on their own selves now that they're forced to live apart.I really loved this book. I love stories about the fae, especially when a great deal of research has been done. I actually purchased The Fairy Bible: The Definitive Guide to the World of Fairies so I could have a visual reference for all of the fae that are present within this novel. This was certainly a well-researched and well-crafted novel and I hope the two authors work together again in the future!

The Girl at Midnight