The Holy Terror

A possible retreat from goodreads ... though I'm tempted to yell "get off my lawn" at this site's tumblresque-ness. Yes, that's totally a word.

Real Murders (An Aurora Teagarden Mystery #1) - Charlaine Harris I decided to read this on a plane trip because it seemed easy to read and get into without having to think too hard, which is good because I get sleepy on planes. I don't often read mysteries but I'm determined to read everything Harris writes. I like her other two mystery protagonists, Lily Bard and Harper Connelly, but I have to say I like Aurora Teagarden the least. Aurora is pretty plain and boring, even without her being a librarian. She lives alone and doesn't even have a pet. She's 28 and wears jean skirts, blouses with flowers on them, and heels with bows on the back. Yikes. Clothing choices aside, I didn't really connect with Aurora. She has almost no personality and you never really get inside her head. Pretty much the only thing she's good at is butting in where she doesn't belong. I found this happened a lot with Lily Bard too so maybe this is something that's normal for a mystery series; I guess you have to give the character a reason for being in the book. With Harper, it makes sense that she's involved in a murder mystery. A librarian or a housekeeper? Not so much.Even with all that, I still enjoyed the story. I liked that you weren't given that many clues and I was guessing until the end about the murderer. There were three people that I considered, but I was way off! The novel could have used some beefing up though, and the reason that it was such a quick read came from the fact that there was little to no character development or description of many of the surroundings. I'm hoping the rest of the books in this series improve on this greatly.It sounds like I'm really ragging on this book but I did enjoy it. It definitely has it's shortcomings but I see some promising things that could be developed and I'll continue reading this series.

The Girl at Midnight