The Holy Terror

A possible retreat from goodreads ... though I'm tempted to yell "get off my lawn" at this site's tumblresque-ness. Yes, that's totally a word.

Changeless - Gail Carriger Dare I say, better than the first? I do have to give fair warning that the end will make you wish it was September already and you had Blameless in your hands. But, can you really consider that a bad thing? I also have to confess that I actually woke up in the middle of the night and my first thought was of Alexia; poor poor Alexia. The ending is heartwrenching to say the least, it just made me so sad and I can't imagine how things are going to work out. But they have to work out, right? Right?!?I honestly don't think I can write a review that does this book justice. And I also find it hard to write about the plot without giving something away, so many things are intertwined that I'd worry I'd spoil something. I do have to say that I figured things out a bit sooner than Alexia, but this was well into the story so it's not like it was overly annoying knowing what was going on before she did.We get to meet some new characters while some old ones stick around past their welcome. I have to say that I'm not that big of fan of Ivy Hisselpenny anymore, she's just not rooted in reality enough for me to be able to handle her in such large doses. And Alexia's sister, Felicity, deserves to be backhanded for her mouth. She has no redeeming qualities and I don't understand how or why Alexia puts up with her. One of the new characters, Madame Lefoux, is a lot of fun. You constantly wonder who's side she's on and what exactly her motive is, without her being antagonistic toward Alexia.One thing that might confuse readers is actually one of the draws of this series - the steampunkiness. The contraptions and machines described are imagined in great detail, but it's almost as if the book would benefit from some schematics and blueprints in the back. I want to see what this stuff looks like! She does a well enough job of describing things though, it's not as if you're completely left in the dark. I think an art book for this series would be a fantastic idea. With all the different fashions and gadgets and things it'd be so cool to have art to go with it.The story was fantastic, I love the world and the characters, and I honestly can't wait for the next book. I actually think I'm going to start foaming at the mouth waiting for Blameless!And for the love of all that's holy, DO NOT READ the synopsis or any blurbs for Blameless if you haven't read Changeless yet! Don't spoil yourself!!!

The Girl at Midnight