The Holy Terror

A possible retreat from goodreads ... though I'm tempted to yell "get off my lawn" at this site's tumblresque-ness. Yes, that's totally a word.

The Gift of the Magi - O. Henry My enjoyment of this was mostly ruined by the fact that I already knew the ending, and also that I felt I've seen adaptations that were more emotionally impactful, (Mickey and Minnie's version being one of them.) I normally wouldn't be able to connect to a short story in the first place, but I thought the tone and language used pushed me away even further. What exactly was the meaning of the pork chops? (I feel like if I read this in a Literature class the pork chops would mean something ... I'd probably have to write a paper on "The Importance of the Hot Pan and the Chops ...)I think the message of the story is both beautiful and a bit heart-breaking, but surprisingly I found this original tale and the characters to be quite cold and empty. I don't want to discourage anyone from trying this one out, since it's very short, but perhaps, watch Mickey and Minnie's version after and see if you agree with me.

The Girl at Midnight