The Holy Terror

A possible retreat from goodreads ... though I'm tempted to yell "get off my lawn" at this site's tumblresque-ness. Yes, that's totally a word.

Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter Series #1)

Angels' Blood - Nalini Singh *3.75 Stars*This was a unique take on vampires and hunters with the addition of angels as rulers, caretakers, lords, and lovers. I've always kind of had a thing for angels and I love that they're sexual beings in this series. It's one of the few things that makes me upset about Richelle Mead's Succubus series because one of the most charismatic and sexy characters has to remain celibate or he'll become a demon. Religion is absent in Angels' Blood and I was exceedingly grateful for that. There is no battle waging between heaven and hell, and there are angels of all races and nationalities. Elena Deveraux is a Guild Hunter, she goes after vampires that have gone astray and violated their contracts that they signed in blood with the angels that Made them. Elena gets hired by the most powerful angel in the United States, the archangel Raphael. She's supposedly the best when it comes to tracking vampires and he wants her to help him find someone. Along the way Elena constantly courts death, sometimes battling foes, and sometimes baiting Raphael.I think some other reviewers have some things up pretty well; Singh can write a great story but her characters lack depth. I've only read this one book by her so I don't have anything to compare this too, but it seems from reading other reviews that this is the general consensus. I liked Elena and I liked Raphael but I wasn't pulled into the story and their lives as much as I feel I should have. In fact, I found myself pulled toward the lesser characters as they seemed to have more personality. Also, some of the sex scenes were a bit underdeveloped - it seems that Singh has a better grasp of flirtation and sexual tension than the actual act. Some of the things that Raphael said he wanted to do to her were sexier than what he actually did. When they finally do have sex it's sort of anti-climatic, ironically.I loved the world and the concepts that Singh has come up with though, it's all very unique and something I haven't seen done before. This sort of reminds me of Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series, in that there are a lot of different beings running about, more than in normal paranormal romance; there's action, gruesome bits, good supporting characters, and great banter and sexy scenes between the hero and heroine. I just wish that the two of them had been developed a bit more, they're both basically one-dimensional, but this didn't really make me dislike them, I was just a little disappointed that Singh didn't take her characters a step further.I'll definitely read the next book and give her other series a try. I like her ideas and I think I've found a new author to latch onto!

The Girl at Midnight