The Holy Terror

A possible retreat from goodreads ... though I'm tempted to yell "get off my lawn" at this site's tumblresque-ness. Yes, that's totally a word.

Magic Burns (Kate Daniels Series #2)

Magic Burns (Kate Daniels Series #2) - This was a good book but not perfect. I'd give it 3.5 stars.I have a hard time with books that have a mystery that needs to be solved and then the character goes from place to place and from person to person following clues and trying to figure out what's going on. It seems like we're just following her as she goes to each strange new place meeting all kinds of new people that I no doubt will probably forget.In the beginning I couldn't remember who a lot of the characters were and it still took a while for Andrews to explain her world. So I was frustrated when I started. I didn't know who people were, I didn't know why the world was the way it was, and I didn't know who the villain was or really what the story was going to be about. I kept hoping for more explanation that I didn't get and I got more and more frustrated. I think it got to the point where I was reading 10 pages or so and putting it down. But after I got past page 55 or so things got more interesting.Kate has to help the Pack get back maps that someone had stolen. In the process she finds a little girl named Julie whose mother, a witch, and her coven have disappeared. Kate does some investigating to find out where Julie's mother went and stumbles upon a mystery much deeper than she originally expected.I liked Kate in this book more than I did in Magic Bites. I didn't connect with her at all in the first book and now I'm warming up to her, plus the way she protects Julie and the more we learn about Kate's past really helps to round out her character. I'm still indifferent toward Curran but there were parts with him that were fun and things he said that made me giggle. He's a little too alpha for me right now and I don't like how angry he gets with Kate, but I think he's warming up to her too. The villains and the fight at the end were pretty crazy and the last 20 pages or so had me on the edge of my seat. With that being said, I still felt like there was something missing with this novel. I think Andrews tries to cram too much in to one book and at times all the different places that Kate goes to and the different people she meets can get overwhelming. I think I had a hard time remembering people from the first book because there were just too many and it was hard for me to keep track. So I think if you're planning on starting this series, don't wait too long between books because you might forget a lot of important things.So, I like the world, I like Kate, and I want to know what happens next. I'm especially hopeful when it comes to Kate and Curran's relationship, it's plain to see that something is developing there and it should be fun to watch it play out. But I still like On the Edge's Rose and Declan better. ; )Check out my reviews for books three and four in this series: Magic Strikes and Magic Bleeds.

The Girl at Midnight