The Holy Terror

A possible retreat from goodreads ... though I'm tempted to yell "get off my lawn" at this site's tumblresque-ness. Yes, that's totally a word.

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Series #1)

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Series #1) - I didn't really want to write a review for this one, because there are plenty of other reviews that are pretty much what I would say as well, BUT, I loved this book a lot.I suggest you read the free prequel, which is actually really good! I think it's best to read it after you've read maybe a chapter or two of Cinder first, so you can get an idea of who's who - that's what I did, although I hadn't planned it that way.This book is a retelling of Cinderella, which is easy to see, and there is a twist that is made extremely obvious in the beginning. You will think that Meyer doesn't know how to foreshadow properly, but I'm positive she did it on purpose. Although, even knowing the twist so early on, it shouldn't ruin your enjoyment of the book at all. I think it just makes you want to read faster so you can see how it will all play out. I am incredibly pleased when I find Asian characters featured prominently in a fantasy book; because you just don't see them that often. And Prince Kaito? Absolutely dreamy. I have a weak spot for hot Asian men, and oh boy, does he fill that role well. His and Cinder's banter is awesome too; no insta-love here. We get a nice, slow build-up of a realistic relationship forming, and the tension between them is palpable.I love the setting also, a futuristic "New" Beijing, and I could really see the world she created clearly in my mind. I know I've got a good book in my hands when I can envision it like it's a movie in my head.Cinder is a strong female character, without being annoying or stupid. She's smart, head-strong, but also has a great sense of her vulnerability and worth. I love her. Her robot friend, Iko, is also adorable and hilarious. She had some of the best lines in the book.The villains are not just one-dimensional either; I empathized with Cinder's "evil" stepmother at one point and I could see her side of things. I love that everything wasn't just all black and white, I mean, it is clear who the "bad guys" are, but it's not so cut-and-dry. I'm excited to learn more about the Lunars as well - moon people! How can you not want to know more about them?Not that there aren't a hundred other books for me to read, but as soon as the sequel to this one is out I plan on snatching it up. There is a cliffhanger ending, but it's not a gut-wrenching one, it just makes you want more of the story, and is that really a bad thing? There are so many awful young adult books being churned out these days that it's gotten tough to find the good ones. This, my friends, is one of those good ones. If you love fairy tale retellings, Asian culture, or just a really good story about a cyborg who only wants to be a normal teenage girl, give this one a chance. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The Girl at Midnight