The Holy Terror

A possible retreat from goodreads ... though I'm tempted to yell "get off my lawn" at this site's tumblresque-ness. Yes, that's totally a word.

Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series #2)

Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 2) - Jeff Kinney This book wasn't as silly as the first one and it seems to focus more on Greg and his friends and family being mean to each other.This book focuses more on Greg's relationship with his older brother and how Rodrick is always picking on him. Greg's younger brother Manny is a tattletale who gets away with everything. Greg has unfortunately been picking up a lot of Rodrick's personality traits too; he plays mean tricks on his classmates and is horrible to his "best friend." At this point I kind of want to read Rowley's diary more than Greg's.His parents aren't much better either. His Dad piles up pillows in bed to trick his wife into thinking he's still there watching a movie with her. He just wants to play in the basement for hours by himself with his civil war models. Yeah, that's a healthy relationship. And when he goes to hear Rodrick play with his band in the school talent show he shoves cotton balls in his ears and stands at the back of the auditorium. That's a good Dad.Also, Rodrick is apparently dumb as rocks but has found a way into manipulating his parents into doing his homework for him. I'm not sure why that would be funny or congratulated. The whole reason Rodrick is picking on Greg and getting away with it is because he knows an embarrassing secret about Greg that happened during the summer. When you finally find out what the secret is, it's pretty underwhelming and dumb. It was nowhere near as funny as the "Cheese Touch" story that ran through the first book.I don't really know what went wrong with this one. It seems like the whole book was full of mean people making poor choices. Now I don't believe that the majority of children will be warped by reading about how to play mean tricks on people and get away with doing bad things, but this book wasn't very funny and the characters didn't have any redeeming qualities at all. I hope the next one is funnier.

The Girl at Midnight